This tutorial will demonstrate how to increase brightness and reduce shadows and other grayness in skin tones. Even though Photoshop Elements’ Smart Brush calls this the Lighten Skin Tones effect, you don’t have to use it just on skin. Try it anywhere you need a bit of brightness or shadow reduction.
Lighten Skin Tones in Photoshop Elements
- Select the areas in which you would like to emphasize the details.
- Add a Brightness/Contrast Adjustment Layer by clicking on the half-black half-white circle near the top of the Layers Palette.
- Double click on the Adjustment Layer Thumbnail to open the Brightness/Contrast Dialogue box.
- Adjust the Brightness to +25.
- Hit ok. Adjust the layer’s opacity to taste.